Somewhat to my surprise all my chickens are alive this morning.
I know others cope with lower temperatures, but I was prepared for the worst.
It is 3 F (-16 C) and Dotty is disgusted. I think she blames me.

7FA24521-C85D-41FB-9220-219D900206D1.jpeg

Somewhat to my surprise all my chickens are alive this morning.
I know others cope with lower temperatures, but I was prepared for the worst.
It is 3 F (-16 C) and Dotty is disgusted. I think she blames me.

View attachment 2962276
I feel for you, been really chilly here. I worry about my wee Silkies but they seem fine.

The youngsters 13 week old chicks r finding it hard as they are going through their first molt. I have the cozy panel heater for them and they huddle by that when they need to warm up.

My big issue is water freezing. Going to check with some feedmills to see if they have a heated one.

Surprisingly though everyone is ok, I should say it is around -10C in the barn right now, in the hen house at night it was around -3C, when I open the door though it cools to the ambient temp of the rest of the barn.

I feel for you, been really chilly here. I worry about my wee Silkies but they seem fine.

The youngsters 13 week old chicks r finding it hard as they are going through their first molt. I have the cozy panel heater for them and they huddle by that when they need to warm up.

My big issue is water freezing. Going to check with some feedmills to see if they have a heated one.

Surprisingly though everyone is ok, I should say it is around -10C in the barn right now, in the hen house at night it was around -3C, when I open the door though it cools to the ambient temp of the rest of the barn.
I have the same heated waterer as @BY Bob, but I noticed that Maggie is a real wattle-dunker and I got worried about her getting frostbite on her wattles so I got this one and just stand a 5gallon bucket with horizontal nipples on it.
This morning it had definitely got ice in it but was not completely frozen solid so they were still getting water.
I find the bucket waterer with nipples easier to fill than the bottom-fill one that Bob uses - but I think his is stronger heat so probably wouldn't have had an ice issue.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SWKH2BJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom