That Owly, she’s something else!
Her goal in life is to be a comedian. How else do you explain going from looking so regal.
DSCN2682.JPG

To this in under 45 minutes.
DSCN2711.JPG

Pooh keeping an eye on the world as the storm rages outside.
And in good news I just got back from the vet and my little kitty cat doesn’t need surgery to remove the growth between her toes because it had gone. I thought that was the case but it feels good to have it confirmed. The only thing left is a small area with a scar and no fur.
0A864821-3D66-4E50-B033-FCEAC392387B.jpeg

Hawk Attack - not how I planned to spend Fluffy Butt Friday!

At about 12:45pm the sun came out and I thought I would let the chickens out to play in the sunshine before having some soup for lunch.
I was sitting with them and getting ready to post a FBF picture when I heard a thump followed by a lot of chicken squawking. I saw what I thought was Bernie aggressively attacking Pooh and I jumped up and ran towards them shouting at Bernie to leave Pooh alone.
Then I saw Bernie running towards the fight and I realized that the bird that was beating up Pooh was a hawk.
The hawk took off moments before I got my hands on it. Pooh and I stood there looking at each other in a mutual state of shock. Bernie was also clearly quite shaken.
While this was going on I saw, out of the corner of my eye, Babs herded some others into the run, but Sylvie was left outside. She hid herself under old dead twigs and was frozen completely still and would not budge.
I started checking. Both Pooh and Bernie looked superficially OK. They could both walk and both ate some grains.
I found Piglet and Tassels hiding in the nest boxes, but there was no sign of Calypso. She was literally nowhere to be found.
I was absolutely sure the hawk did not fly off with her. The heaps of feathers looked like they belonged to Pooh, Bernie, and maybe also the hawk. No black feathers.
So I spent the next 4 hours crawling through undergrowth and calling for Calypso.

It was just about dark and I had pretty much given up hope, when Calypso showed up shouting to be let in. I burst into tears with relief. I had moved my cameras to look outside the Chicken Palace for signs of Calypso - but none of them picked her up - she just materialized in the run shouting. So I still have absolutely no idea where she went.

Tonight Pooh is roosting in Bernie's prize spot with Bernie's permission - and indeed Bernie is roosting next to Pooh.
My blood pressure and pulse have nearly come down to normal and my temperature has moved up such that I can feel my fingers and toes again.

I do so hope Pooh is not badly injured. I was too cold and shaken to do an examination immediately - though I did observe her walk about, eat and drink so I could see she was roughly OK.
I am now wondering if I should pluck her off the roost in the middle of the night or should just watch her closely over the next 24 hours. Plucking her off the roost feels like it might be terrorizing her all over again.

That hawk came out of nowhere and it must have seen that I was there and just didn't care. Terrifying. Meanwhile, this was the fluffy butt photo I was in the middle of posting when this all happened.
View attachment 3724790
Oh. My. Goodness! So glad everyone is alright.

Update: he’s not feeling well today. His poops are not normal. He ate some feed, but I also made him some scrambled eggs and cheese. I shared with all the chooks. He’s going to need some tender loving care. Maybe it was just too cold for him in the coop last night. (He won’t tell me what’s wrong.) :(
It’s turned cold here also.

Can you bring him in overnight? I kept Red in the feedroom, but I put Marty back out in Hen House ‘A’, I popped her in a nestbox with Curly. It’s cozy in there these days.
8AACCF43-2583-4B69-9866-1A7F215F92BC.png

I also finished off Hen House ‘B’ and moved the Summer House residents in there. To make them feel more comfortable I brought the 4x4 beam in and placed it cross way in there. And of course I just checked the camera and they are all trying to cram onto the beam.
2C34792F-3F2D-46FA-BC70-CFDA6F648587.png

Once everyone settles in and knows to roost in there I can keep the door between the two areas open, but for now I have it closed, it will keep it a bit warmer for Marty and Curly who are finishing moulting.

If you are having chest pain you must stop. So many people die from heart attacks while shovelling. Please, next time you feel chest pain stop and rest a while.

Be sure you mention this pain the next time you see your doctor. You don't want to be another statistic.
@SimpleJenn that's exactly what happened to one of my neighbors shortly after we moved in. She didn't make it. Not sure if the heart attack or the cold got her first. Get checked out sooner rather than later.

Spot and Dottie were hiding when I was out earlier so I had to go back outside. There will never be a issue telling these twins apart. Spot has more white and her comb has started to flop over. Dottie is less spotted with a non-floppy comb.
View attachment 3725303View attachment 3725304View attachment 3725305View attachment 3725306View attachment 3725307View attachment 3725308View attachment 3725310View attachment 3725311View attachment 3725312View attachment 3725313View attachment 3725320
They're beautiful....but they change their spots every year....

Back
Top Bottom