Pics
Just canned 18 lbs of peaches, and made zucchini muffins too.

Also, (not a preserving thing, but just a zucchini side note) I have a toddler who loves almost all fresh produce, but will NOT eat cooked zucchini. I recently tried grating it (like you do for bread/muffins) and mixing it into scrambled eggs, and she ate everything on her plate.
We get DS to eat peas by cooking them with rice any time we have rice as a side. We lucked out with broccoli by just calling it "dinosaur trees" and he chomps on it like a T-rex. LOL.

Yesterday I cooked up a pot of tomato sauce. I accidentally added too much salt (canning salt) so I had to roast and peel more tomatoes plus add more herbs, garlic, onion, etc. and ended up doubling the batch. It's about 5 quarts of sauce now. I made it a bit spicy by adding just one really hot habanero (they are VERY hot this year). I want to use some to can bell pepper slices in tomato sauce to use on beef sandwiches, Italian sausage, hot dogs, etc. The sauce is in the fridge now in two bowls. I need to go out later today and grab a case of pint jars and more lids (I ran out of lids completely. Oops!).
I've got about 5 pints of pepper jam in the fridge that I couldn't can because we ran out of lids. I think I should be able to bring it to a simmer, add the acid (ACV) and then jar it up and can it fine. Hoping it doesn't turn to syrup.

Another full canner of tomatoes being processed right now. It's wonderful to have this bounty of tomatoes this year.
The wind last night blew over a dozen corn plants so those need handled today as well.

Green beans.....I am getting sick of processing them. I really should be grateful to have such a harvest but beans are more time intensive for me. That and my vac sealer is trying to quit.

Tomorrow I will pick bell peppers and process those for the freezer. Those are super easy except for the stinkin sealer issues.

Jalapenos need picked too but they can wait a bit. I have 2 FULL grocery bags of green beans to deal with.

Hey all have like 8 cups of black berry getting one more box of sure jell. Dummy here if I do not want to make freezer jam do I cook the berries or ?
Can I do them in a water bath ? in the jars ?

Not sure if this helps Penny but this is in my big ball book. It was published in 2014.
It doesn't call for pectin....which seems odd but some fruits have enough natural pectin.

IMG_20210827_131219.jpg

Koi
Yesterday I cooked up a pot of tomato sauce. I accidentally added too much salt (canning salt) so I had to roast and peel more tomatoes plus add more herbs, garlic, onion, etc. and ended up doubling the batch. It's about 5 quarts of sauce now. I made it a bit spicy by adding just one really hot habanero (they are VERY hot this year). I want to use some to can bell pepper slices in tomato sauce to use on beef sandwiches, Italian sausage, hot dogs, etc. The sauce is in the fridge now in two bowls. I need to go out later today and grab a case of pint jars and more lids (I ran out of lids completely. Oops!).
I've got about 5 pints of pepper jam in the fridge that I couldn't can because we ran out of lids. I think I should be able to bring it to a simmer, add the acid (ACV) and then jar it up and can it fine. Hoping it doesn't turn to syrup.
our RK is sold out of jars lids etc. and has been for a few weeks :th

Back
Top Bottom