I will start with Jabber. Unfortunately I had a neighbor complain and he had become so vicious that I could not rehome him. So Jabber is no longer with us. I always feel a little bad about that but I simply ran out of options.

Patsy passed around a year ago from what I can best figure was old age. Something broke inside her and she passed gently in my lap.

I added two easter eggers while Jabber was still here. Maleficent was killed earlier this year by what I can only guess was weasel. She had roosted outside the coop and was taken right after dusk. Her sister Aurora is still with us. Here is Aurora.
View attachment 2343979

The newest ladies came to us as a group from someone who had to let them go. I took them all as a package. Here they are:

Sansa
View attachment 2343982

Sydney
View attachment 2343983

and last but never least, Phyllis
View attachment 2343984

Aurora has a Faverolle look about her in that photo. :love

Maggie
I am very dispirited about Maggie's prospects. I know I shouldn't get out ahead of myself but everything I have read basically says that what she has is a death sentence.
If she were obviously in pain or having a miserable life I would know what to do, but she is behaving just like normal - chasing the young ladies, rushing around the Palace, dust bathing and chatting away to me.
She sees the vet tomorrow and I am guessing the vet is going to offer to put her to sleep. I am not experienced enough with chickens to have good instincts about how she is feeling.
I have had many cats for many decades and feel I understand when they are miserable.
Is Maggie miserable? Or maybe she is fine now but will suddenly be in terrible pain, and then will I regret if I didn't act now? I feel like preventing suffering is my number one obligation to her.
Sorry - I know I should wait until I see the vet and listen to the options and take a calm decision but I am mentally preparing myself for the worst.
Thank you for hearing me out.

Would it be Disloyal......

First, I have to say that I know I am coming to the wrong group with this but I am hoping that you all could be honest with me.

Has anyone ever heard of a White Legbar?
View attachment 2343705

Just look at it. Isn't it gorgeous. I never knew they even existed. It looks so much like my beloved white leghorn, except it has a toupee. I love toupees!

Of course how do I learn about these gorgeous chickens? Someone approached me knowing I have been talking about legbars with an opportunity to maybe be able to provide me with one or two chicks from a very late in the season hatch.

There is danger here.
  • With chicks, always the chance of a rooster. Not that he would be hard to rehome or sell, just look at these beautiful birds. But it would have to be dealt with.
  • The weather. They would have to stay inside our house for quite a while. Then I could be integrating new hens in the winter with snow on the ground and limited space. No free range time to help the integration if there is snow
  • Technically, do I have space? The coop and run are technically big enough for 10 birds but not if I need to lock them in the coop for any extended period of time like I did when Maleficent was killed and I had to upgrade security everywhere or when it drops way below freezing.
  • Is it fair to Lucky? I sent Lucky with Ned because I could not bear to split them up. Would I have kept them both if they were both hens? I'm afraid I might have. Clearly I am weak when it comes to chickens. Is it Disloyal to bring in others now.
  • I know these beautiful hens exist now. I'm sure I could get some another time, right? Or is this a one time opportunity?
  • If there is only 1 available I would have to get at least one other chick to go with it. How would I do that! That also means that I am adding at least 2 hens to my flock bring it back to 8.
  • Blue Eggs!
I need everyone to look at this seriously and help me to decide. I really want to hear your thoughts. Especially if you see a positive or negative that I have missed.

I admit I am weak and just the pictures of these chickens has me longing for my dearly missed leghorn friends (especially you know who). Plus with
Blue Eggs a little price of Mal as well, sort of, in a way, ironically.

View attachment 2343738
Hmmm it must ultimately be your choice Bob, but I've got a suggestion. Imagine how amazing it would be to hatch your own little white legbars next time Sydney is available. Coffee clatch with little white babies sitting on cushions.

Also, I think you should triple-check the blue egg expectation because I once read it's only the cream crested legbars who lay blue, the other legbars lay brown. Now, full disclosure, I read it on the internet so there's no way of knowing whether it's true or not.

Maggie
I am very dispirited about Maggie's prospects. I know I shouldn't get out ahead of myself but everything I have read basically says that what she has is a death sentence.
If she were obviously in pain or having a miserable life I would know what to do, but she is behaving just like normal - chasing the young ladies, rushing around the Palace, dust bathing and chatting away to me.
She sees the vet tomorrow and I am guessing the vet is going to offer to put her to sleep. I am not experienced enough with chickens to have good instincts about how she is feeling.
I have had many cats for many decades and feel I understand when they are miserable.
Is Maggie miserable? Or maybe she is fine now but will suddenly be in terrible pain, and then will I regret if I didn't act now? I feel like preventing suffering is my number one obligation to her.
Sorry - I know I should wait until I see the vet and listen to the options and take a calm decision but I am mentally preparing myself for the worst.
Thank you for hearing me out.
Seriously, mention the hysterectomy option.

Would it be Disloyal......

First, I have to say that I know I am coming to the wrong group with this but I am hoping that you all could be honest with me.

Has anyone ever heard of a White Legbar?
View attachment 2343705

Just look at it. Isn't it gorgeous. I never knew they even existed. It looks so much like my beloved white leghorn, except it has a toupee. I love toupees!

Of course how do I learn about these gorgeous chickens? Someone approached me knowing I have been talking about legbars with an opportunity to maybe be able to provide me with one or two chicks from a very late in the season hatch.

There is danger here.
  • With chicks, always the chance of a rooster. Not that he would be hard to rehome or sell, just look at these beautiful birds. But it would have to be dealt with.
  • The weather. They would have to stay inside our house for quite a while. Then I could be integrating new hens in the winter with snow on the ground and limited space. No free range time to help the integration if there is snow
  • Technically, do I have space? The coop and run are technically big enough for 10 birds but not if I need to lock them in the coop for any extended period of time like I did when Maleficent was killed and I had to upgrade security everywhere or when it drops way below freezing.
  • Is it fair to Lucky? I sent Lucky with Ned because I could not bear to split them up. Would I have kept them both if they were both hens? I'm afraid I might have. Clearly I am weak when it comes to chickens. Is it Disloyal to bring in others now.
  • I know these beautiful hens exist now. I'm sure I could get some another time, right? Or is this a one time opportunity?
  • If there is only 1 available I would have to get at least one other chick to go with it. How would I do that! That also means that I am adding at least 2 hens to my flock bring it back to 8.
  • Blue Eggs!
I need everyone to look at this seriously and help me to decide. I really want to hear your thoughts. Especially if you see a positive or negative that I have missed.

I admit I am weak and just the pictures of these chickens has me longing for my dearly missed leghorn friends (especially you know who). Plus with
Blue Eggs a little price of Mal as well, sort of, in a way, ironically.

View attachment 2343738
Seriously? You are asking here? I really don't think you need enabling. ;) You seem to do very well on your own.:lol:

Here says the eggs should be blue or green. Are you prepared to wait till summer or do you have a large enough window to integrate before the snow falls? That is the only drawback I can really see. I like larger flocks but of course you are looking @ fliers, escapees & time consumers...:lau

Hmmm it must ultimately be your choice Bob, but I've got a suggestion. Imagine how amazing it would be to hatch your own little white legbars next time Sydney is available. Coffee clatch with little white babies sitting on cushions.

Also, I think you should triple-check the blue egg expectation because I once read it's only the cream crested legbars who lay blue, the other legbars lay brown. Now, full disclosure, I read it on the internet so there's no way of knowing whether it's true or not.
I think the white Legbars do have blue eggs. And I do love the idea of Sydney hatching little ones! :love :love

Waiting is always an option. You will know when she's reached her give up point. If she's looking & acting ok I would personally go with that ~ & MJs option if you can afford it.
Thank you. I will report back tomorrow after the vet visit. It isn't a vet I know (my cat vet is strictly not a chicken person) so I hope he is kind and really cares.

Back
Top Bottom