FBF!
P5070120.JPG

I am so overwhelmed by everyones kind words regarding the passing of Roo. I wanted you to all know that reading through each and every one of your replies meant a lot to me and it was nice to be able to talk about Roo with other chicken lovers.
@featherhead007 @Marie2020 @Ribh @BY Bob @Scrambles83 @RoyalChick @LaFemmeKatia @ChicoryBlue @LozzyR @micstrachan @Shadrach

You asked if I had other chickens, I don't have a traditional flock. My flock all started with a feral hen (Chickadee) that adopted me last May and decided to move into my backyard permanently with her baby chicks. Roo was one of her baby chicks, so I basically watched him grow up. Eventually other neighborhood chickens joined Chickadee and moved into my backyard as well. My chickens are free ranging and roost in the trees in my backyard. They may be feral chickens, but I do consider them my pets and I love them dearly. This was my first time dealing with the loss of a chicken and I never would've guessed a year ago that losing a wild chicken could hurt so much, but these chickens sure have a way of worming their way into our hearts 😢

The vet believed that Roo had cocci, so we were treating him for that. You'd think that living on an island full of wild chickens that we'd have a lot of vets that treats chickens, but that was not the case. There was only one vet on island that had any experience treating chickens and I'm glad that I found her. I did see some improvements when I started giving Roo medicine, but I think I may have caught it too late because he never did get back to normal and eventually he got worse and passed away before I could bring him to the vet again 😢
So sad that Roo wasn’t able to come back from his illness. But you gave him good care. ❤️
I love your story of how you came to have your flock of “feral” chickens! It’s like they adopted YOU!

He will finally be properly cared for. The winter seemed to be rough on him. Plus the original area he was hanging out in is heavily hunted and that is what got him on the move. Turkey season came in, thankfully he wasn't shot.
Did you offer to take him in?

Jaffar has changed his mind. :confused: He no longer likes military movies. He sits with me and watches old biblical movies. I think he has changed his feathers!! What ever he likes to watch, he’s such a good rooster! View attachment 2654852
And, I better really show love to Jaffar, he’s the only roo I have left!:love

Back
Top Bottom